1) Mk. 16:6, which we heard for our Scripture reading says, “He is risen.”
2) These three words changed the course of world history.
3) Jn. 1:1-2 – In the first verses of this book John makes reference to the “beginning.”
4) Gen. 1:1 also makes reference to the “beginning,” but Jn. 1:1 is different.
a) Gen. 1:1 takes us to the beginning (start) of creation.
b) Jn. 1:1 describes a time prior to the creation of all things.
5) Jn. 1:1-2 – READ
6) Jesus was the “word.” He was also “with God” and He “was God.”
7) In verse 14 John says Jesus (the “word”) “became flesh.
8) In Rev. 1:8 Jesus is called the “alpha” and the “omega.”
9) “Alpha” is the first letter in the Greek alphabet and “omega” is the last letter.
10) In other words, “alpha and omega” is like saying “A-Z.”
11) Jn. 1:3 – READ
12) No matter what we can imagine or point to that item was made “through” Jesus Christ.
a) Verse 4 of Jn. 1 – READ
b) Our world, at least on some occasions, wants “life.”
2) Some people just seem to “exist” – their body functions, but they really don’t have much of a life.
a) The Bible says “life” comes from Jesus.
b) Life is “in” Christ.
3) John could have life is “from” Jesus, “through” Jesus, or “by” Jesus.
4) Our world will search for fulfillment in every place but one: Christ
5) Life is not only “in” the Lord (Jn. 1:4), Jesus is where light comes from (same verse).
a) There is an emphasis on knowledge and education everywhere we look.
b) If there has ever been an “information age,” that time is now.
6) The light through Christ is designed to help us get through life.
a) The Bible offers information on how to be a good parent and how to raise faithful children.
b) There will never be a better resource for relationships than God’s word.
c) The teachings of Christ and the word the Lord gave through the apostles are “light.”
d) God’s word gives us all kinds of insight on handling the issues of life.
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF ALL PEOPLE WOULD TURN TO THE LIGHT AND FIND THE FULL LIFE THAT IS OFFERED THROUGH CHRIST.
a) God says that most of the world will not do this.
b) In Jn. 3:19 the Bible says “the light came into the world but men loved darkness.”
c) God offers light and life through Jesus but many do not want it.
d) Jn. 5:28-29 says “all who are in the tombs shall hear his voice.”
e) At the end of time each one who has ever lived will be raised from the dead.
2) If we have had a loved one leave this life, we will see that person sometime in the future.
3) The grave could not keep Jesus and the grave will not keep anyone else.
4) At the time of time the Lord will descend with a shout, 1 Thess. 4:16.
5) The “dead in Christ will rise first” (same verse) and all others will then be raised.
a) Jesus’ resurrection is a fascinating and phenomenal event, but we will also one day be raised.
6) Jesus wants us to be saved.